Scandinavian Adventure – Norway, Finland & Sweden
Customized Family Itinerary
- 1:30pm: Depart Home
- 3:30pm: Arrive Oakland “ExpressoPark” located at 880 Doolittle Drive, San Leandro, CA.
Reservations confirmed for indoor valet parking. Take complimentary shuttle to airport.
- 4:00pm: Check-in for flight and have early dinner at Chili’s Too located near Gate 6, Terminal 1
- 6:45pm: Depart Oakland (OAK) Terminal 1 on Norwegian Airlines flight #DY7064
- 1:25pm: Arrive Oslo Gardermoen Airport.
- 2:30pm: After clearing customs and immigration, take a taxi to the hotel
- Walk around the shops along Karl Johan street
- Visit the Fram Museum. http://www.frammuseum.no/visit-the-museum.aspx : Fram is the strongest wooden ship ever built and still holds the records for sailing farthest north and farthest south. At the Fram Museum you can come on board the ship and see how the crew and their dogs lived and managed to survive in the coldest and most dangerous places on earth – the Arctic and the Antarctic.
In 2013 the new Gjøa building opened with new exhibitions on the Arctic, and the Northwest Passage – from the first trials four hundred years ago to find a northern route to the East until Roald Amundsen’s journey through the passage in 1903-06.
The exhibitions are illustrated with the help of modern design, photographs, film, an interactive map, special lighting effects, a model of the Fram frozen in the ice – and the ship itself. In the polar simulator lets you experience both the cold and the dangers of polar expeditions over a hundred years ago.
- Go to the Frognerbadet Open-Air Public Bath (swimming center like in Folsom) if we feel like swimming and getting some sunshine.
- Visit Akershus Castle Dating from 1299, this medieval castle and royal residence developed into a fortress in 1592, after which it was rebuilt into a renaissance castle 1637-1648. Akershus Castle includes several magnificent halls, the Akershus Castle church, the Royal Mausoleum, models of the castle, the government’s reception rooms and banquet halls.
Hotel Grand Hotel Oslo
Karl Johansgate 31
NO-0101 Oslo, Norway
Room type: (1) Superior family room including buffet breakfast
- 7:00am Check out of hotel and take a taxi to the station
- 7:20am Collect tickets from machine/pre-paid
- 7:30am Get a coffee and relax near the platform
- 8:05am Depart Oslo on the Bergen Railway
- 12:39pm Arrive Myrdal
- 1:27pm Depart Myrdal on the Flam Railway
- 2:25pm Arrive Fretheim Hotel Flam, check-in or leave bags
- 3:50pm Find our way to the Flam docks
- 4:10pm Check in for the Fjord Safari
- 4:30pm Heritage Fjord Safari Flåm – Nærøyfjord – Undredal – Flåm
About the fjord safari with stop in Undredal:
- RIB-boats with safety equipment and floating suits to keep warm
- Experienced guide with local knowledge
- Tasting of goat’s cheese in Undredal
- Fjord safari on the Aurlandsfjord and the Næøryfjord
- Duration: 3 hours
Along the way, we make stops at places of interest and try to spot seals, porpoises and eagles. We go ashore in Undredal, a little village wedged in between high mountains. Undredal has a population of 85 people and almost 500 goats. You will also learn about the history of cheese production, and hear folk tales and folk songs
7:45pm Dinner at Ægir Brewery & Pub
The brewery is built in the old Norse tradition; here are rough slate floors, driftwood walls, a dragon head, and a fire burning in the hearth. After enjoying good food with great beer, you can continue exchanging good stories or dancing to your preferred music.
Our culinary philosophy is: “Ægir beer in and to food!” The popular Ægir beer is also an important ingredient in marinades and sauces; the malt and hops add that extra tang to the food. Try our beer-marinated mountain trout or if you prefer lamb marinated in Ægir beer, and for dessert marinated cherries and dark chocolate cake with Porter.
We use ingredients from our neighborhood, lamb from Aurland, crayfish from the Aurlandsfjord, raspberries from Flåm and goat cheese from the village of Undredal. We have brews that go well with fish, crabs and prawns; with tasty vegetarian dishes; with goat cheese; with red and white meat; and we even have ales that are outstanding accompaniments.
Hotel Fretheim Hotel
5743 Flam, Mailbox 63
Room type: (1) Standard family room with 1 double bed and a bunk bed including breakfast.
(Mom note – laundry facilities available)
- Morning: Breakfast at the hotel
- Family choice: What do we feel like doing today?
- There is a White Caves Tour that departs at 11am – 1pm. On this group tour, we take a walk inside a cave consisting of anorthosite, a very rare kind of marble that is completely white. Inside, water naturally runs through the mountain. When trial excavations were carried out, it was seen that several of these water pockets connected together, and eventually became a labyrinth of tunnels and running water. On carpeted passageways you can experience the inside of the mountain, an experience of light and sound, silence and darkness.
- We can have a relaxing walk near the hotel: The cultural park is located in the center of Flam behind Fretheim Hotel and offers paths with art, views, activities and benches. Here you can enjoy both the view and a fresh cup of coffee while taking amazing holiday photos of the fjord landscape. Fretheim cultural park is open to everyone and consists of 1600 meters of walking paths in nature with an activity area for both adults and children. The decorations, art and play areas throughout the park were created by artist Geir Gjetland. As a pearl in the center of Fretheim cultural park is Bakkastova cultural cafe, a typical Norwegian cottage that has served as housing for both serps and heads of the hotel. In Bakkastova you can get a cup of coffee and local pastries.
- Rent bikes from the tourist office for about $8 per hour. There are many trails around the town and along the Fjords. To pre-book bikes, contact email@example.com. The tourist information in Flåm can provide a map with trails and other practical information.
- 1:30pm: Have lunch in Flam. A good place might be the lobby bar in the hotel as they have salads and sandwiches.
- 3:00pm: Depart from hotel for the short walk to the dock. Check-in for the ferry begins at 3:10pm
- 3:30pm: Take the express ferry from Flam to Balestrand
- 4:55pm: Arrive in Balestrand and check in to the Kviknes Hotel
In Balestrand, beautifully located beside the Sognefjord, lies Kviknes Hotel. The Kvikne family have been the hosts here since 1877. The hotel was built in the “Swiss” style. There have been many new buildings, reconstructions and extensions since, but none of this has altered the special character of this place.
- 7:00pm: Dinner at the hotel
6899 Balestrand, Norway
Room type: (2) connecting standard rooms in historic building with shared bathroom (between rooms). Breakfast included. Pack light – there is no lift in the historic building.
- 7:00am: Breakfast at hotel
- 7:45am: Walk to harbor to check in for boat trip
- 8:05am: Depart on boat # BRE2 for Fjaerland Kai
- 9:45am: Arrive Fjaerland Kai
Departing from Balestrand – a village that is a favorite among artists – board the sightseeing boat that takes you into the idyllic Fjærlandsfjorden to Fjærland. Fjærlandsfjord called the green bay under the glacier. Now you can experience the beautiful bay and the special green water coming from melting glaciers you can make out the head of Fjærlandsfjord.
Enjoy this lovely fjord trip to the villages between glaciers – Balestrand and Fjærlandsfjord. Along the fjord we pass waterfalls and steep mountains. Fjærlandsfjord is where fjords and glaciers meet. Along the way, you can see parts of Jostedals Glacier – the largest glacier on mainland Europe. Upon arrival jetty in Fjærlandsfjord is the shuttle that takes you on to Bøyabreen, Supphellebreen and Norwegian Glacier Museum. Fjærland we also find the Norwegian Book Town and distinctive Hotel Mundal, built in 1891.
- 3:20pm: Depart Fjaerland Kai
- 4:50pm: Arrive Balestrand Kai. Return to the hotel for a rest
Mom note – There is a laundry building on the quayside in Balestrand. It has one washer and one drier. To get access to the room you buy a code from the tourist information for 70 kroner. The code is changed every 24 hours. You need to take in your own washing powder.
7:00pm: Dinner at Pilgrim Restaurant: Welcome to try our meals inside, outside or upstairs! Opening hours are 10.30am to 9pm. Run as a cafe during the day and restaurant during the evening. Evening meals begin at 3pm. Our menu is based on traditional Norwegian home cooking. We focus on local products, as far as it is available. After dinner we invite you to enjoy your after dinner coffee or tea on the very top of The golden house, inside the crystal dome.
Contact: Phone 5769 1465 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
3 minutes walk from our hotel:
Overnight: Kviknes Hotel, Balestrand
- 6:30am: Breakfast at hotel
- 7:20am: Check out of hotel and go to pier
- 7:50am: Depart Balestrand kai by ferry
- 11:50am: Arrive Bergen Strandkaiterminal. Walk to the hotel for check in.
Hotel Havnekontoret (Clarion Collection)
Slottsgaten 1, Bergen, NO 5003
Room type: Family room: 1 double bed, 1 (2 person) sofa bed including full organic breakfast, light evening buffet from 6pm-9pm and sauna. At Hotel Havnekontoret you stay in one of the Bergen’s most historical buildings. The place is characterized by its long history and Neo-Baroque architecture, but inside the hotel you will find a stylish newly renovated environment. Sit back in our library or enjoy a drink in the lounge.
Hotel Havnekontoret is centrally located at the historic wharf in Bergen. This beautiful hotel is close to the city’s array of shops and restaurants. You will find many attractions at a comfortable distance, as the Fish Market, Fløibanan, and the city’s famous aquarium. The old wharf of Bergen is a reminder of the town’s importance as part of the Hanseatic League’s trading empire from the 14th to the mid-16th century.
Stroll along the old narrow alleyways and take a closer look at the unique wooden architecture, shop for quirky designs and hand-made gifts, or enjoy a meal at one of the restaurants.
You can dine in the atmospheric Enhjørningen (the Unicorn), one of Bergen’s finest seafood restaurants, with its rickety floors and painted log walls, or enjoy a meal at Tracteursted – a popular place that offers al fresco eating in summer.
Discover Bryggen’s history: In 1360 the Hansas, a German guild of merchants, set up one of their headquarters by the harbour on Bryggen. From here they were to dominate trade for the next 400 years, controlling import and export into and from Bergen.
Bryggen has been Bergen’s nerve center since the late Middle Ages. The colourful facades of its wooden warehouses and gables probably make up the most familiar image of Bergen in most visitors’ mind. There are also two museums on the site. Bryggens Museum, housed in a modern building erected over the remains of the first settlement at Bryggen, houses the extensive medieval finds excavated in the area. Bryggens Museum also hosts temporary art displays and themed exhibitions.
The Hanseatic Museum, housed in one of the old Hansa buildings on the waterfront, illustrates the life of an 18th century merchant.
Bryggen Guiding, a historic walk through Bryggen’s past, goes from Bryggens Museum through the old wooden buildings to the Hanseatic Museum.
The hotel training room is equipped with a treadmill, rowing machine, and step machine. Gym hours are between 06:00 and 22:00.
- Laudromat: Jarlens Vaskoteque, located at Lille Øvregaten 17
- Absolutt Rens og Vask, Magnus Barfots gate 4, phone 0047-55907270
- Hygienisk Vask & Rens, Halfdan Kjerulfs gate 8, 0047-55317741, www.hygienisk-vask.no
- 9:00am: Breakfast at the hotel. Morning at leisure to explore more of Bergen on foot. Pick up some allergy friendly snacks/sack dinner to bring on the plane.
- 1:00pm: Taxi to airport. Driving distance is 19km taking up to 30 minutes in traffic.
- 3:00pm: Depart Bergen on Norwegian Airlines flight DY625
- 3:55pm: Arrive Oslo-Gardermoen
- 5:20pm: Depart Oslo-Gardermoen to flight DY326
- 7:20pm: Arrive Alta
Office open until 8:00pm
Local phone number 47-907-49000
8:00pm: Check in to hotel. Restaurant is open until 10:30pm.
Overnight: Rica Hotel Alta
Løkkeveien 61, 9509 Alta
Tel. +47 78 48 27 12
Room type: (1) Superior double with extra bed and sofa
- 9:00am: Breakfast at the hotel
- 10:00am: Check out of the hotel. Our first stop will be a visit to the Alta Museum, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This museum is on the E6, a main European highway which goes through the center of town. The museum is located at the western end of the town, 5 km southwest of the community center.
- 11:30am: After our visit to the museum we will leave Alta and drive northeast along the E6 to the junction with E69, which leads north into Honningsvåg, the world’s northernmost village, a distance of 130 miles from Alta.
- 12:30pm: Stop in Skaidi for lunch and possible fishing. Following our activities, we can shop for snacks and souvenirs at the tourist shop on site.
- 3:30pm: Continue on to Honningsvaag.
- 5:00pm: Check-in to the hotel and have dinner. Stop by the Artico Ice Bar for a non-alcoholic drink in this bar made of ice.
- 6:30pm: Drive about 40 minutes to the North Cape. Enjoy the magnificent sub-Arctic landscape as you cross the 71st parallel on our journey towards the North Cape, the northernmost point on the continent. The North Cape plateau itself rises 307 metres almost vertically from the ice cold Arctic Ocean. Stand and wonder at the view, but don’t forget to get some photographic evidence of this amazing place. After all, you can’t get any further north in mainland Europe! The tour includes a visit to the North Cape Hall, a modern center where you can see an impressive 180° panoramic film about Finnmark and the North Cape, buy souvenirs send postcards or enjoy a bite to eat. This attraction is open until 01:00am.
THE NORTH CAPE
Booking is confirmed. 1 Family room, 1 night 28.07-29.07 at Rica Hotel Honningsvåg.
Welcome to Honningvåg.
Have a nice day
Med vennlig hilsen / Best regards,
Elise Bjerke • Assisterende Resepsjonssjef
Rica Hotel Honningsvåg
Nordkappgata 4, N-9750 Honningsvåg
Tel +47 78 47 72 20
- 8:45am: Breakfast at the hotel.
- 9:45am: Check out of hotel and drive to the Nordkappmuseet. This is a small museum which presents Arctic fisheries and aspects of everyday life on the outer coast of Finnmark county, as well as the local history of the North Cape area. The museum is located by the harbor in the center of Honningsvag.
- 11:00am: Depart Honningsvag heading south.
- 1:45pm: Stop in Lakselv for lunch and fuel if we haven’t found anything earlier.
- 3:00pm: Stop in Karasjok for a stretch and to check out the seat of the Sami Parliament. There is also a very good outfitter here called Sports 1 in case we need anything.
- 6:00pm: Continue on across the Finland border to Ivalo. Arrive in Ivalo for the evening.
Overnight: Hotelli Ivalo Oy
FI-99800 IVALO, Finland
Tel: +358 16 688 111
Fax: +358 16 661 905
- 9:00am: Breakfast at the hotel and check out head west on Petsamontie/Route 91. At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto Ivalontie/E75. Continue to follow E75 going through 3 roundabouts. In Sodankla at the roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto Jaamerentie/E63. Turn right on to Kemijarventie/E63 and continue to follow the E63 for 57km.
Driving time from the hotel to Lampivaara is 2 hours, 40 minutes (217km).
- 12:30: Stop at the Phya-Luosto National Park to visit the Lampivaara Amethyst Mine. Park in the Ukko-Luosto parking lot and take a 2.5 kilometer walk through the park to the Kahvio Café. Have lunch and purchase tickets to tour the mine. Tours start every hour from 11am – 5pm.
- 3:30pm: Return to the E75 driving 78km to Rovaniemi. Driving time to the hotel is approximately 1 hour 42 minutes.
- 5:15pm Cross the Arctic Circle (66°31’N). Check in to the hotel for overnight & sauna.
Santa’s Hotel Santa Claus
Tel: +358 (0)16 321 3227
Fax: +358 (0)16 321 3222
Rovaniemi is a town of eight seasons: Christmas, frosty winter, crusted snow, ice break-up, midnight sun, the harvest period, colorful autumn and first snowfall. Each presents the town in a different way and has its own characteristic light, temperature and natural phenomena.
You will be fetched from the hotel reception at 9:55am for a full day of fishing. First we are transported to the start place and get some information about fishing and how to use the equipment.
We will be fishing at famous fishing places using small boats with silent electrical engines. Possible fishes to get here are trout, arctic whitefishes, whitefishes, rainbow trout, pikes and perches. Beautiful view from the tepee where we enjoy snacks and warm beverages.
(Girls go to Santa Village)
- 9:00am Breakfast at the hotel
- 9:45am Check out, refuel car, drive to airport (airport is 8km away ~ 10 minutes)
- 10:45amCheck in for flight to Sweden
- 12:05pmDepart Rovaniemi on Norwegian Airlines flight DY5627 (Duration 1:20)
- 1:25pm Arrive Helsinki
- 4:00pm Depart Helsinki on Norwegian Airlines flight DY4286 (Departure Terminal: 4:00pm Arrive Stockholm, Sweden)
- Duration: 1:00
- Arrival Terminal: 5
- Take a taxi from the airport to the hotel.
- 5:30pm Check in to the hotel and make dinner reservations.
- Hotel:Grand Hotel Stockholm
- 8am: Girls go to relax in the spa
- 9am: Half day of sightseeing in Stockholm, Sweden
- 2:30pm: Check in at airport, Terminal 5
- 4:30pm: Depart Stockholm-Arlanda on Norwegian Airlines flight DY 7067 (Duration 10:30)
- 6:00pm: Arrive Oakland, Terminal 1